Monday, November 12, 2012

Primary Delusionary Experience















A few weeks ago I particpated, from home, in 24 hour comics day. The challenge is to write, draw, ink and finish a 24 page, completed comic in 24 hours. As you can see I didn't quite meet success in this challenge as I only completed 14 pages total, just 10 shy of the goal. I slacked a little and slept more than I should have. Nevertheless I'm satisfied with what I worked up and decided to end the story in just 14 pages, which I think is still just as effective as the original script. The 10 pages I left out weren't really necessary and didn't add much overall to the success of the tale.

As you read this comic it may strike as non-sequitor, however I was working on it with the intention of depicting the dream phenomena known as "Primary Delusionary Experience" or "False Awakening". This phenomenon was made popular as a central theme in the recent Hollywood blockbuster, "Inception", but also it has been used as literary device in various other TV shows and works of printed fiction. "Inception" focused on the dream phenomenon with a twist of science fiction and espionage. What I attempted to show here is a bit more playful and focuses on the meaning of the dream phenomenon itself and also the possibility of the experience revealing to us a past or alternative life we have lived or are currently living.

No comments: